a beater 240D on Craigs list here (Austin, TX) this
morning for $5000. I couldn't give away a 1984 300D in about the same
shape for $1500 several years ago.

No kidding!  I can't believe the number of Mercedes diesels around here that
are priced around 4K that need AC recharging (probably need more than that),
non-functioning power windows, even imperfect paint.  240D's around here
have been affected by the biodiesel craze, so if it runs at all and can run
on bioD, it's worth at least $3K.  If it's a W126 you're after, those can
still be acquired rather cheaply, anywhere from a $1000 running beater to
$3500 for a reasonably good example.

Kevin in Portland, OR
1983 300SD 267Kmi, Ursula