I can recommend NOT strapping (12) 20' lengths of 1" galvanized pipe to the
roof rack of a Subaru Impreza.
It might not seem like that much in talking, but it's a lot heavier than it
looks (well over the 125lb limit of the rack) and 20' is quite a bit longer
than the car.
That was quite interesting as I recall pipe sticking out way out over the
hood and a bit in front of the car and a good ways out back too.  Just
trying to drive smoothly down the highway for 20 or 30 miles while the pipe
just kinda see-sawed up and down over the bumps.  I still have a dent in the
front cross bar from that bit of stupidity.  (:

Levi
Not sure if the mulch in a 944 beats the old Christmas tree on the whale
tale of a 911...