On Jul 16, 2007, at 3:57 PM, E M wrote:

> Let me throw this out; I've never known a North American company to
> set up shop in China, or to switch to suppliers from China because
> they were trying to improve quality or offer a better product.  I'm
> sure there is quality control in China, but the quality is
> controlled at a made in China level.  I still think the good old US
> has some of the highest quality standards in the world, be it a
> wrench, auto part, garmet, or food product.  Perhpas if all these
> stores keep selling junk long enough,  todays "junk" will become
> the new accepted standard.  That would be ashame!  Then again, what
> do I know, Walmart seems to be doing ok, so the people have spoken
> with their wallets. :-)
>
> If I seem to be waving the stars and stripes at times, just to let
> you all know, I'm not even American, but I recognise a good thing
> when I see it! :-)
>
> Ed
> 300E

Sadly this becomes a junk $10 wrench, versus a quality forever $50
wrench. Well the risk is?
Sadly that becomes a junk $30 tire that blows up, versus a $80 tire
that likely will not. Way more risk, but not for the Chinese factory
for some reason.

As I type this on an apple mac book pro which *is* made in china and
apparently has a degree of quality control standards since it has the
lowest historical repair issues for computers as collected by
Consumer Reports.

PS should get oil in there too, managed to mention CR, macs, and
tires all in one msg.

John
1983 300TDt  386k Kilometers (mobil 1 Delvac)
1990's 300TDt  198k Kilometers (mobil 1 Delvac)
1993 500SEL 194k Kilometers (mobil 1 Delvac)