From: "Robert Bigham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "mercedes@okiebenz.com" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: 8/13/07 4:43 PM
Subject: [MBZ] Radiator brands: Who can give advice?

Hello all

I need to pick your brains about radiators.

My perfect Behr round tube radiator 123 501 56 01 was destroyed by the
consequences of the acts of an idiot posing as a mechanic, but that's
not
really important.  Replacing the destroyed radiator is much more
important.

Car is 1983 Model 123.223 230E Grey Market car.  Four cylinder 2.3
liter,
100 KW output.  Automatic transmission.

I shopped Rusty, and put in a quotation request a week ago, and haven't
heard anything except that the quote will be ready before long.  I think
know what that means, unfortunately.  Not available.  I'm used to that.

Grey market and all that.

I'm looking for a used radiator like the one that was destroyed, and I'm

looking for a new one.

I looked out in the big world, and find Behr, Nissens, noname, and Valeo

radiators that might be a suitable fitment. Width dimension is pretty
important. Not too wide - will interfere with air cleaner. Not too
narrow
- fan shroud will gap at sides and not force airflow through core. Just
right
is 518 mm, wide,  i.e, standard width. Height is standard 123 chassis
radiator height.

I am shy of noname radiators.  Maybe I shouldn't be.

Somewhere I read a rant against Behr radiators of the 1980-85 period.
Hose
nozzles break off or something like that.  Flimsy.  My old Behr radiator
was
perfect and worked perfectly.  There couldn't have been a lot
fundamentally
wrong with it.  But it is history now.

I never heard of Valeo radiators except vaguely and I think associated
somehow
with Volkswagens. I never heard of Nissens radiators at all until now.

There are many things I have never heard of.

I never imagined having to roust out a radiator, although I bought a
used
one
(which turns out to be wrong - too wide) on ebay, just in case I might
need
it
sometime..  It's an excellent Behr radiator except it ain't the right
one.
Too wide.
Interferes with air cleaner snout.

I'd like to hear anything anyone might care to share, and any advice
anyone
may have.
I'm sure there's a radiator guru or expert out there somewhere.

Thank all of you.

Robert, in a liquid to air heat exchanger mode.
.