> <<I am a non aviator, but I don't understand why any pilot would not file a
> flight plan with someone.>>

There is a guy here in Indiana that owns a P-51 Mustang. He has it up
all the time. Actually floored me the first time I saw it overhead.
But I doubt he's going to file a plan that isn't needed everytime he
goes up just to fly in big circles for an hour or two and then land at
the same small airport he took off from.

ie - if it's a short route that someone flys all the time they
probably would get to the point that the routine would feel like it
didn't need a formal plan just to go a hundred miles or so.

Just my two cents though, I'm not an aviator either.

Ed

--
Knowledge is power... Power Corrupts. Study hard... Be Evil.