Hello Tom and others similarly situated

"Can't we all just get along?" - Rodney King

I accept that many believed fuel injector problems are really
something else. I am always inclined to suspect ignition.  My
father, who was not a mechanically inclined person, told me
"First go to fire, then go to fuel."  Still true in my book.

I understand there is such a thing as "worn out", and you
can't cure "worn out" by cleaning. I know. I've tried it on
other things. It doesn't work.  Doesn't cost much, usually,
just some time. Adds to experience.

It is obvious there is also such a thing as "gummed up", and
it is sometimes possible to cure "gummed up" by cleaning.
I know. I've done that too. It works sometimes. Sometimes
it works outstandingly well.  Ed's case on the Porsche CIS
fuel injectors sounds like one of those cases.  Ed says it is.
I was (still am) interested.

Old type CIS fuel injectors are surely capable of becoming
gummed up in the right set of circumstances. It  has been
pointed out they are very simple and have few parts that can
wear out.  I have to wonder about the fuel distributor, which
seems much more complex than the injectors, and how/why
it avoids the g word, if it does. The fuel pump and accumulator
are not smart enough to avoid it, or so it seems.

Someone who doesn't believe that an automotive
gasoline fuel system, and sometimes the engine itself,
doesn't get "gummed up" if it sits for an extended time
without proper preparation for storage has a gap in
his old car education.  They do indeed get severely
clabbered up sometimes. If necessary, please trust
me on that one.

BTW, I have been told by persons in a position to know
that airplane piston engines do not have that problem because
AVGAS is quite stable in storage.  I don't have first hand
knowledge, but have acquaintances who resurrect airplanes,
and they say they don't have that problem.

One was plannning to test run his engine (which had sat for
no telling how long), and I asked what about the stale fuel
problem.  He assured me there is no stale fuel problem, and
the engines and fuel are just as good and ready now as when
they were last run. OK. I don't think they are pulling my leg,
although they might be.

True story: About fifty yr ago I pulled an old Ford out
of a thicket where it had sat for years.  After ignition system
checks, I started it and ran it successfully on the fuel that was in
the tank. Ran and drove it successfully until the old fuel was used
up. I didn't have a clue then it might be gummed up.

If the Ford were left in the thicket today, I think the fuel would
turn to black goo or jello or something nasty like that in pretty
short order.

One of the aircraft resurrectionists asked what did I think
would happen if one pours AVGAS into a styrofoam cup.
I said I didn't think there would still be a styrofoam cup any
more.  He assured me the cup with AVGAS in it would simply
sit there and not be destroyed by the fuel.  True?  Dunno.
Told for the truth, yes.

Please indulge me just a little if I ask about someone's
experience that sounds interesting to me, OK?  The only ways
I have to learn are to read and ask questions.  I promise to
not interfere with others who, e.g., want to scrounge a used
part that is relatively cheap and readily available from suppliers.
I promise to not hoot at people who wonder what that new
noise under the car (which is obviously something in the
supension that is worn badly) is.

Deal?

 Wed, 5 Sep 2007 00:25:49 -0500
From: "Tom Hargrave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, wrote
Subject: Re: [MBZ] [MBZ[ 560 back on the road, almost : Cleaning fuel
injectors

Robert,

I've owned quite a few CIS cars and my experience is that cleaning the
injectors is a waste of time. They don't get dirty, they eventually wear
out. I mentioned the two injector failure modes in an earlier email & both
are easy to identify. One is a worn out injector, causing a bad spray
pattern & the other is a leaky injector causing the fuel system to leak
down. Cleaners do nothing for either of these failure modes.

Another list member also mentioned that the injectors have small filters -
they do but I've never seen one plug up.

Over 90% of the time a CIS issue is traced elsewhere.

Thanks,
Tom Hargrave
www.kegkits.com
256-656-1924