> I'm not sure the state of all research into this topic, but I've always
> wondered how carbon tetrachloride (freon) with a molecular weight of
> 152
> would be more prevalent in the upper atmosphere than the vastly more
> available sodium chloride (in sea water) which has a molecular weight
> of
> 58.

Floatability (so to speak) doesn't have as much to do with weight
as you might like.  Density?  Lithium is pretty light, yet doesn't
seem to float into the air much!

Freon is carbon tet. with two Cl's replaced with F's.
C-Cl2-F2 versus C-Cl4.

I do not believe the hype around the ozone connection, but even
if it was questionable they could have accomplished their aims
my mandating new construction use the new refrigerant, and let
the demand for the old die off naturally rather than turn it into
a substance as illegal to handle as crack.

-- Jim