> so this 6k diesel unit, will that power a house?  What size is needed
> power a house and run just about everything.  At least be able to run
> the
> basics anyway.

I think those 5-6kW units are enough to be able to run the things
you need, though not without lifestyle changes.  (Green Acres-style
time-sharing of limited electricity.)  Double that for ones that'll
run everything if you're an all-gas home.  Up to 50kW for the
all-electric home and a refusal to adapt to the power outage.

> (and cook!) with the wood stove---but it'd be nice to have enough
> capacity to run the hot water heater and maybe the washer, too.

A water heater is some 4kW.  I think a stove element is 2kW.

> so what size would a person need that would run everything at the same
> time
> like regular line power?

For us?  50kW.  The electric furnace itself is 28 kW all by itself.

-- Jim