That's one that you can't lay on the government -- the best school in
the country won't make a bit of difference if the students don't want
to learn, and if their environment (family, peer group, neighborhood)
doesn't value education, it's not likely that the kid will learn
anything anywhere.
My four kids went to one of the worst grade schools in town, a
notoriously poor middle school, and a decent high school. Two went to
Yale, one to NYU, and one to OU (school of engineering) on
scholarships. Education is highly valued in our family, and they
"hung" with kids of like minds.
Bottom line - a good student will not be held back by a poor school,
and a unmotivated student won't gain anything from the best school.

--
OK Don, KD5NRO
Norman, OK