A ten year old 6000 btu Amana Quiet Cool window A/c in the shop quit running
after I had smelled hot electronics for a short while.  The circuit boards,
the fan motor, and the wiring don't look smoked; but the condenser is so
rusty I wonder if it might be the cause of the smell.
The circuit diagram is illegible from exposure to rain, etc.  The fan motor
has three leads so I suspected it is a typical three speed motor setup and
it was confirmed on the label but the label gave no color codes for the
wires.  The compressor also has three leads and a (common?) lead comes in
through a separate thermal switch .

The part I find confusing is a big capacitor which has three leads and a
rating of both 7.5 mfd and 35 mfd.  From looking at the label on the blower
motor, it doesn't appear to be a capacitor start or capacitor run motor, so
I would guess that both the blower motor and the compressor use the
capacitor simply to give them a little more amperage when they start up
since they both start at once on some settings of the dial; but that's just
a wild guess.

If the fan motor and compressor are both good, I would like to hook them up
to a household type 24v transformer, relay, thermostat arrangement and
eliminate the pc boards whether they are good or not.  I'm a little afraid
to try 110v on the fan and compressor to see if they are good since I'm not
familiar with pc board controlled appliances and they may require some sort
of hookups with the capacitor.  Both the fan motor and the compressor are
thermally protected so it probably would be safe enough.  All suggestions
will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Gerry
Thanks,