Years ago people sat cars on concrete blocks and worked under them until a
few got crushed to death in their own driveway (the blocks can crumble
without warning).  Then word got around that concrete blocks were safe if
you put a piece of wood on top to distribute the load.  More people got
crushed.  Finally nearly everyone became convince that concrete blocks were
too risky so they started using wood blocks.  This was before jackstands
became cheap.
I knew a mechanic who was killed back then when a professional spring
compressor broke.  Next front end job, I'll rent Rustys and carefully put
the compressed spring in a closet while it's compressed.  That's what they
do in some front end shops.

Gerry