The mechanical FI is fine so long as it works -- once fiddled with,
very very expensive to repair (pumps out of production for a very long
time now).  The rest of the engine is standard MB fare  -- taken care
of, very reliable.  Rather breathless, revs WAY up there (6600 rpm at
118 mph).  16-18 mpg.  I get 15 to 16 out of the 4.5 I have (hopefully,
since I have to drive is a while, my 300D got totaled Tuesday morning).

Properly installed and greased all the time, kingpins should last a
long time.  My kingpins are fine, did have to replace an upper trunion
(improperly installed) and have some play in the right upper control
arm bushings -- not bad at 200,000 miles.

Peter