I can't speak for the prevailing practice, but that with which I am
familiar in auto
machine shops is that king pin bushings are honed to fit the pins.

This is a very routine auto machine shop job similar to honing connnecting
rod
little end bushings to size.  And the fit is not critical, although there
are specifications.
A nice oiled slip fit or no tighter than a light thumb push fit is what you
need.

This is true of old Ford pickups, big trucks, and old cars that use king
pins instead of
ball joints.

Manufacturers' service manuals usually speak of reaming the bushings to
size, which
requires a suitable reamer. There's nothing wrong with good reaming, and I
like it
better than honing, perhaps because I believe deep down the honing leaves
gritters
in the bushings.  But I've known of set after set that were honed.  AFAIK
they don't
crater, and I think I'd know it if they did.  They seem to endure as long
as the owners
will keep them greased.

Pins and bushings will last forever, like more than 300,000 miles on an old
Ford
pickup, if greased regularly.  Make that frequently.  How I know this ought
to be obvious.
Tue, 9 Oct 2007 15:33:18 -0700
From: David Bruckmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  wrote
Subject: Re: [MBZ] W108 4.5: The nightmare begins

King pins kits are about $200 (does both sides) from Rusty. But I think the
labour can get pricey because there's some machining involved to install
them.

D.

 >From: "Kaleb C. Striplin, work" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
>
>So how much are king pins? Never messed with them before.
>
>---
>Kaleb C. Striplin
>Cox Auto Trader
>730 FSBO Supervisor

"andrew strasfogel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote