Hey Robb,

I'm pretty new to the list, and bought a '88 300E about 6 months ago.  It
passed but was burning oil at the time.  Why your's didn't pass could be any
one of many reasons.  I've always found, just before a test, clean plugs
gapped right, clean oil,  and make sure the car is good and hot just before
they test it.  I've seen cars sit for hours at the shop, get cold, then they
fire them up, roll them onto the test, and they fail.  Is everything on your
car well serviced and up to date, wires, 02 sensor, plugs.  Cat in good
shape?  Can't remember what you said the mileage is on yours?   I just
turned 350,000 kms yesterday.  My car runs strong, but it does have a third
of a million on it, so rings, guides, and pretty much everything is showing
a little wear.  Did you post the test results from your last test???  Would
help to tell just where the problem is coming from.

Ed
300E