Robb Taglieri

Your original email was answered on 9/17/07 by Alex Chamberlain who has a
diesel. I believe most of the guys here are diesel owners. Gas cars are a
different beast, you'll need to get codes pulled or build a LED unit to pull
codes, your car is OBD I.

>On 9/17/07, Robb Taglieri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have a 1993 300E 2.8 with about 122,000 miles on it.  It recently
> went for NJ emissions testing and failed.  My HC tested at 150 instead
> of 100.  I am told that the cause of this is not the normal tune up
> but rather that something is defective.  the car had a tune up in the
> last 12,000 miles and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions.
>
>High HC means unburned fuel---the engine is running too rich.  A lot of
things can cause this, but the first to check for >is a vacuum leak---could
be as simple as a disconnected line somewhere.  (Low vacuum makes the
injection computer think >>>you're stomping on the accelerator all the time,
so it dumps more gas in than necessary.)

>Alex Chamberlain
>'87 300D Turbo

>From my notes I have;

High HC,CO & NOX = replace converter & O2 Sensor, verify tuneup and correct
any fault codes. You did pull the codes?
High HC & NOX & Low CO = Replace converter, tune-up & check lean Fuel Ratio,
leaking exhaust valves.
High HC & CO & Low NOX = Rich Air fuel Ratio, air injection
High HC & Low CO & NOX = Run in converter, tuneup, oil change

Check the emissions form from the test facility to which values are high and
low.

There is also and EGR tube issue with the car you have.

James Zavesky
1991 500SL
1992 600SEL