Na, I read other posts besides my own, I just try to avoid reading yours
whenever possible.

Defects are largely based on what people bring back and complain about.
It's as much to do with owner expectations, as it is about a quality
product.  Most guys how guy a new S Class are probably going to be a little
pickier than a guy who buys a Camry.

As for the 993 being a zero defects car, it was far from that.  If you think
it is, go and buy the best one you can find and live with it for awhile.
Blow an engine up a newer porsche, under warranty, and they won't even try
to rebuild it, they'll just plug a new one in..   Nothing wrong with a
Boxster, I've spend lots of time in them, but many of the parts look like
they were supplied by IKEA, and some of the engineering, is just, well,
crap!

Porsche is making lots of money and stying healthy.  Good for them, just
means I'll be more likely to be able to get factory parts of my old beaters
in the years to come.

As for Mercedes, the new S550 also came out with near zero defects.  Having
said that, most are probably leased for 3-4 years, so if dumping the car in
a few years, maybe the driver doesn't look as close as the guy 20 years ago
who wrote out the big cheque, and planned to live with the car for 15 years
or 400,000 kms does.  Lets see what the near zero defect S looks like in 10
years.

Ed
300E, and other stuff too.