archer wrote:

> Speaking of Chinese machine tools, I've been getting regular flyers from
> "Smithy" machine tools in Ann Arbor, Michigan.  Their very nice looking
> lathes, which also have a vertical mill, must be made in China; considering
> that their prices range from $1500 to only $3500 for relatively complex
> machines.  Has anyone had experience with their lathes?

No, but I've heard that Grizzly (spelling?) sells the same stuff cheaper.
I've got a machinist friend in New England who told me several years ago
to ask him what deal he could get before buying any Chinese machinery, but
IIRC we were mostly talking about my driving out to his place and getting
it loaded in my truck. Don't know if he could have it drop shipped, or if
he still deals in machine tools.
Mitch.