"I'll tell you: I don't know." - Tevye the milkman in Fiddler on the Roof.

When one cylinder leaks down and the crankshaft turns, another
comes up on the compression stroke.  Or so it seems to me.

The attempt to move the car with the transmission in any gear
requires turning the engine faster than it might crank manually. In
a lower gear, it really turns faster.  This I think reduces the tendency
of the car to move and self rotate the engine.

Sometimes an old engine with weak compression will actually allow
a car to move a bit, a herky jerky bit, especially in top gear.

Robert

<mercedes@okiebenz.com>