Curt, et al.
On an '85 190D it isn't too hard to get the starter out, or check the
connections. Apart from the lower bolt the rest is accessible from
the drivers side top, after removing the air filter box complete. A
190E is (was) a lot more difficult as the cruise actuator is in front
of the starter and it is under the fuel injection stuff on the hard
to remove manifold. Not fun in the cold, but most is doable from
under the hood.
Fred Moir
Lynn MA
85 300TD