> Now it gets dim and the battery cables get warm (after several tries
> at this I should say) but nothing but the solenoid click.

It usually takes two people, but you should take a voltmeter and
connect it between the center post (not the cable clamp) of the
battery + and the starter motor's center post (not the cable or
the nut) and have somebody hit the starter.  You don't want to
see very much voltage at all.  Repeat the test with the battery
- post and the body of the starter.  Ditto.

Any significant voltage means you have a wiring problem.
A volt is too much.  Half a volt is probably too much.

You combine these results with the battery voltage itself
(measured between the posts) under the same conditions.
It shouldn't drop too much, if it goes to 10V it's bad.
(Or at least not charged.)

-- Jim