my kid informs me that she really wants to go to disney world.  i explain
that disney world is a place i really hate, so she ought not hold her
breath.  then she suggests that she can go to the park by herself and i can
go find some other way to entertain myself during that time.  i dismiss the
idea immediately.

when i think back though to when i was her age, i realize that is exactly
what would have happened had my parents taken me to disney.  (my parents,
however, didn't venture more than about 100 miles from new york city, so no
worries about this actually coming up).  by the time i was in the fifth
grade, i was pretty much on my own.  i walked to school in the morning and
back home in the afternoon.  on days when there was no school, i'd leave the
house to go out on the street in the late morning and come back at
dinnertime.  i walked long distances to go places and would take the bus or
subway on my own if i had the money to.  all my friends lived this lifestyle
as well and a complete lack of supervision seemed the norm.  in fact, the
few children we did know who lived under parental supervision where
considered highly unusual both by us kids and by our parents.

my dad left hungary after a dispute with the communists and their radical
expansion of power.  europe, however, isn't really that big a place, so he
soon found himself living the life of a beach bum in southern italy.  he was
quite a dark skinned man and seemed able to spend all day in sea and sand
without any ill effects.  i, on the other hand, burn easily and am impatient
with just sitting in the sand all day.  he came to new york and was a beach
bum there as well and never lost his love of the beach.

on summer saturdays we would go to jones beach along with 100,000 other
people.  it is a large and well appointed place.  i'd hang out with dad for
half an hour or so, then disappear to find other activities.  maybe i'd swim
a couple of miles down the beach or maybe i'd go check out the basketball
courts.  i'd return several hours later after having entertained myself
adequately . this was pretty normal.

i'm still fond of the beach and take my kid whenever i can.  she is never
out of my sight.

my question is a simple one:  were my parents' generation simply negligent
in their outlook or are we simply insanely overprotective?