Hi,
  Now at age 61 I still sometimes gas weld when the torch is portable and I
have no want to drag out the gennie powered stick welder.
  Flame welding is as good as any other in some cases.
  Carbon is formed by the torch being adjusted without a neutral flame i.e. too
hot with too much Oxygen. Slow down the heat and take your time to do a proper
weld.
  I have welded aluminum castings with a propane torch.
  I have seen others weld aluminum sheet metal with a oxy-acetylene small torch.
  Use the right size torch for the job at hand.
  A cutting/heating torch is not a do-all tool.
  Ed in Chicago

Peter Frederick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Gas welding will add loads of carbon to any steel, hardening it. The
heat from gas is much LESS concentrated (only the arc and immediately
adjacent metal are heated directly in arc welding, gas you have to have
a flame, and it will be much larger than even a big arc.).

I would suspect that gas welding exists because it was all that was
available before electric arc welding was invented. I don't know of
anyone using it except as a novelty. Brazing is another story, but
it's not welding.

MIG is the best way to handle sheet metal as you have the most control
over it, and the inert gas means no slag. TIG might even be better if
you have the setup.

Peter