From: Curt Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Diesel List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
CC:
Subject: [MBZ] OT: Cheap generator

So one of my New Years resolutions is to lose 10 pounds. I figure a good
way to do it would be to bicycle more. A good way to bicycle more while
its cold out would be a stationary bike. I hate the idea of buying a
stationary bike so why not get an old bike and convert it?
Well heck if I'm converting a bike why not make it generate electricty?

Okay, I've got my welder and my new helmet that makes it actually
useful, I've got a vauge idea about how I'll make the bike stationary,
I've seen a website where somebody actually did this
http://otherpower.com/otherpower_experiments_bicycle.html
Now I need a generator...
Ideally it'll be internally regulated, doubly ideally it'll be cheap....
It looks like I could get a starter/generator from a Cub Cadet tractor
for about $30 and a regulator for about $10. I like that because they're
relatively low speed engines...

Any ideas?

-Curt

1/2/2008 11:29 AM