Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 15:42:15 -0500
From: Mitch Haley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT: Cheap generator
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>

Curt Raymond wrote:

> I'd bet the Cub Cadet generator I mentioned is happiest around
 1200rpm

The Delco S/G you mention doesn't seem to do much below 1000 engine
 RPM,
and the crankshaft pulley is lots bigger than the S/G pulley. I bet it
 hits
10,000 rpm at redline (where it can easily peg the 30A meter if the
 regulator
sticks full on). I'd rather use an alternator myself. I like the idea
 of
using a rheostat on the field of an old 35A Bosch alternator or
 similar.
It might be easiest to use a standard rear wheel, and put a drive
 roller
on the alternator rubbing the tire. There is some friction loss and
 tire
wear if you do that, but it makes the drivetrain simple, with a very
 high
step-up gear ratio.

I saw one that used a 24V wheelchair motor for a generator, I think it
was in Homepower 5-10 years ago. Nice recumbent frame design so you
could watch TV while powering the TV, without craning your neck. More
efficient than a car alternator, but lots more $$$ than a salvage
alternator.
Aha, I found it:
https://www.homepower.com/article/?file=HP81_pg70_Dahlen
I can email that issue to you, but it's 7.5MB.

Here's Mother Earth News's take on the concept:
http://www.motherearthnews.com/DIY/1981-01-01/Cycle-Power.aspx
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Alternative-Energy/1981-03-01/Cycle-Power-Part-II.aspx
http://www.motherearthnews.com/DIY/1981-05-01/Cycle-Power-Part-III.aspx