Curt Raymond wrote:

> One of the 1 wire ones and use the bike frame as ground?
> Duh, it'll get field voltage automatically right?
>
> Will it be okay going so slow? Remember we're not talking about alot
> of torque either.

If you use an internally regulated alternator, whenever the switch is on
you will be running maximum field current (~4-5A IIRC) until the voltage
hits 14.5 or so. That will put the alternator in maximum resistance mode,
and it's possible that you won't ever get it spinning fast enough to be
a producer instead of a user of electricity. If you use an automotive
generator or alternator, get one with an external regulator so you
can play with the field current yourself. Whoever suggested using a
rheostat to manually set the field current (which corresponds to resistance)
had a fantastic idea. It might be possible to use an alternator with a wide
(five or six row) serpentine belt pulley against a bike tire.

You could use an externally regulated alternator with a regulator, and
put a rheostat inline with the wire to the field coil. That way you'd
have regulated output, but you could dial it back manually if resistance
was too much to pedal against.