Yes, and there are some (probably a handful of) lifetime smokers who never
get cancer or heart disease, are incredibly healthy, and if they do die it's
in their sleep on account of old age rather than disease.  Chalk it up to
genetics, like those athletes who when praised demur by attributing their
prowess to "God-given talent".  What they really mean is that they were
blessed with awesome genes.