I disagree with that, you are forgetting about Martin Luther who stood
up to the Catholic church and won.
It can be argued that his actions inspired others to stand up for their
rights and may well have influenced your founding fathers and their view
of liberty.
Also I think to say that Hitler was the most popular leader in the last
100 years is somewhat misleading, considering the circumstances.