That's a good question.  I don't know.

I went to a community college down here to get a back
door into a 4 year state university.  Why?  Because
the 60+ credit hours I had from I.U. were not
recognized by a state university because they were
more than 10 years old.

Now think about how stupid that sounds.  100 and 200
level courses have changed significantly over 10
years?  What a bunch of baloney.

Fortunately for me, I knew someone that worked at a
local CC who told me that not only would they honor my
credits, but all I had to do was a minimum of 15 hours
at the CC, earn an A.A., and I was guaranteed
acceptance into any state university - it's the law in
Florida.  You get an A.A. (or equivalent) from a
Florida CC and you're guaranteed a spot at a four year
state college/university.

Right now there's something like 20,000 applicants for
a few thousand openings at many state universities in
Florida.  Go to a CC for a few years and get in for
free.

As for the remediation bit, it's true - students these
days are not adequately prepared for college level
coursework by the public school system.  Hence, the
need for remediation in the community colleges.  It's
a "helping hand" for these student who would otherwise
not make it into a 4 year institution.

Dan

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs