Find a good lawyer first.  You might ask about "what -if" you paid
the bill, got the car and then filed a claim in small claims court to
recover your losses.  I think you should demand the old trans so it
can be diagnosed.  Hope you put some identifying center punch marks
on it before it went to the shop.  That way if the "new" transmission
has the same marks, you've got em!

You'd have to pay a core charge for the old trans, but any reputable
rebuilder gives 30 days to return the core and get your money back.

At 06:44 PM 1/22/2008, you wrote:

>Hans Neureiter wrote:
> > At 5:00 PM I got a call saying the tranny is trashed and needs a total
> > rebuild for $ 2100.
>
>Time to run, run, run. They haven't hooked up the cable like you agreed
>to pay them for, they don't even have the cable, and you didn't look at
>the car to verify the cable was linked up right before you agreed with
>them that the tranny was toast. If you were going to pay $2k for a tranny,
>you'd buy it from Rusty and have somebody reputable install it for you.
>
>How much did you agree to pay in writing?
>Is your car where you can get to it?
>Did you give those morons your only key?
>Time to do some searching on the state gov't web page, anything I
>tell you about Michigan law wouldn't be applicable and might be
>out of date anyway.

Loren Faeth