This evening I escaped driving west in the setting sun and traffic to check
out the 4#/$1.00 sale on cabbage at BiLo Grocery...

Anyway, as I parked I noticed the attention of an older guy in the parking
lot. He reminded me of a picture I've seen posted here of the good Dr.
Marshall Booth.

The old gentleman complimented my car saying how good the diesel sounded.
When I glanced behind me I had no doubt that the old gentleman belonged to
the immaculate 1974 220D.

We stood in the parking past sunset talking of cars and the coincidence that
the "old hermit" lives near my parents. I invited him to attend services
sometime at the lil Methodist church some Sunday.

Mr. "Ernie" is 87 y/o, a retired Navy pilot. He bought the 1974 (Harvest
beige? Sand beige?) 220D from a "retired doctor" for $3,000 about 12 years
ago. It had about 65,000 miles on it, now <120,000.

We discovered a mutual admiration of the same indy mechanics, "Gary and son,
Todd."

The car was amazing. There wasn't a mar on the perfect interior. The
exterior was only slightly aged with a few blemishes on the chrome from a
hail storm. (The old guy's eyesight must be better than mine. I could see a
flaw.)

The car had manual windows, manual transmission and the manual glow
plug/starter.

Other than regular oil changes and valve adjustment, "Ernie" said the only
other repair he's done to the car in twelve years was to buy two tires.

When we parted and I went into the grocery the ole feller made a loop around
the parking lot and zoomed by me just like a teenager "showing out."

Wonder if he'd swap cars?