>> It'll be cheaper to buy eggs than to buy commercial chicken
>> feed, which is nutritionally balanced for layers.
>
> There was an article in Mother Earth News recently which found that
> free range
> or pastured hens (lots of protein in those bugs, and chickens provide
> free bug
> and grub control) produced significantly more nutritious eggs than
> commercial
> eggs.

I was referring to raising chickens on a city lot.  I doubt there's
enough range to feed them entirely that way.  So you'll be buying
something to feed them.  If they're not sufficiently fed, including
all necessary proteins and vitamins, they won't lay.

> I don't get it.  How is $.19/dozen more expensive than buying eggs
> from the
> store?  Local egg prices generally start at $2.00/dozen and head on up

They're not.  It was an unrelated factoid, I was trying to point out
that a large-scale chicken factory is obviously cost-effective, whereas
small-scale is not, really.

Give it a whirl, sure.  But don't be surprised if it's not
as easy or economical as it sounds.  It's also a PITA, and any
livestock owner is tied to their property.  Hard to take a vacation,
etc.

-- Jim