Commercial hen huts are NASTY

The little buggers are de-beaked, crammed in really tight quarters
until they are ready to lay, pumped full of drugs, then forced to
live in a tiny cage only large enough to stand and poop in.  Lights
are on 24/7 so they will lay all year round.  Most layers at a good
farm or free ranging will lay for four or more years.  A hot house
hen will live maybe two years, never see daylight, have lost her
feathers a few months after she first lays and break your heart to see.

A bunch of peeps from the feed store are not the generic white
chickens, but heirloom or just plain interesting to look at.  Lots
smarter too.  They are superior pets since they live outside, keep
bugs down, live around 20 years and do not bark or need to go for a
walk.  Also gets the neighbors really interested in your chickens.  I
have folks walking past the house letting me know there is a chicken
standing in the middle of the road and I should go save it.  I have
to tell these nice folks it is not my hen, but one of the other half
dozen neighbors' who have hens.

clay