Just checked the ATF earlier this evening on the 87 190D and found once
again that the stick is dry. I assure you this pains me. But I'm learning
just how often I have to add fluid to the leaky tranny. Heaven forefend the
wife would ever check it.
And I pulled the dipstick again a few minutes ago with engine off and cooled
down. I found that the fluid level is just a bit above the full line. This
all makes sense, but it reminded me of when I was dealing with the seller
out in California. He, a plastic surgeon (so not a totally stupid man) was
so sure that the trans fluid should be checked with the engine off. And when
I showed him that the dipstick was dry with engine running, he said "yes,
that's how it should be. When you shut it off and check it, the level is
right." I proceeded to show him in the manual where it states that the trans
fluid should be checked with engine running and trans in "park".

Question is: If the fluid level is just above the full line (the highest of
the two marks on the dipstick) with the engine off and cool, how low is the
transmission on fluid?

The reason I ask this is that it is very difficult to achieve a clear
reading on that dipstick. One side will have something approaching a clear
reading, and the other side will have fluid running half way up the stick. I
suppose checking the dipstick after adding fluid contributes to this
problem, but even when I don't do that, it's still really hard to get a
clear reading.

Thanks,
Brian
87 190D