You asked <<If the fluid level is just above the full line (the highest of
> the two marks on the dipstick) with the engine off and cool, how low is
> the
> transmission on fluid?>>

I don't think the engine off method is completely trustworthy but it should
be low on the dipstick when checked when the engine is cold & running.

The fluid heats and expands as it reaches operating temp and so will go *up*
on the dipstick- not down as you ask.  While that's true of fluid whith the
engine cold/cool and running I cannot answer what it might be cold/cool and
*not* running since I have ever checked it that way - since that's the wrong
way ;-)

Hope this was a little bit helpful/   How hard will it be to fix the leak?

Larry T (66 MGB, 74 911, 78 240D, 91 300D)
PORSCHE POSTERS!  youroil.net