I've looked into sugar beets.  They potentially make a very high yield of
ethanol per acre of crop.  But beets only store for a few months.  So
economically, they are difficult because beets would require a high capital
investment. Beets require either an ethanol plant 6X the size of a
comparable grain plant or a sugar mill and tank farm to produce and store
syrup for year around operation of a smaller ethanol plant.  A big advantage
of grain feedstocks is their ability to survive years of storage.

Though I don't know as much about cane, I suspect it has the same storge
problems as beets.  And cane is obviously very climate dependent.  I once
saw a world map of crops.  All cane is grown within a certain distance from
the equator.  Maybe it can be grown in other climates, but probably not very
effectively.

For the last 15 to 20 years, fuel ethanol is no longer dehydrated by
azeotropic distillation using benzene or hexane (or whatever).  Ethanol is
now dehydrated by molecular sieves that use a lot less energy and are a lot
less toxic and dangerous.

Modern plants are also much more thermally efficient. Ethanol plants from 20
to 30 years ago required maybe 80 lbs of steam to distill a gallon of
product.  That number is now down in 20's.
So it now takes maybe 20k BTU's of steam to distill 80k BTU's of ethanol
(order of magnitude only YMMV).

Ned Kleinhenz  '95 E300D