that's exactly what biases it.  the bad movies do not survive.  the good
ones are shown over and over and studied and commented on.  it is easy to
watch citizen kane and learn more about it's "greatness" every time we hear
peter bogdanovich say "i remember one time when orson was living in my
basement, he told me that when filming citizen kane ..."

years ago i grew tired of the kid's crap movies and television, so i
introduced my daughter to fantasia.  it was pure quality and blew her little
mind.  7 years later, she still watches, albeit not quite as much as digimon
and pokemon vs godzilla and sailor moon.

at the end of hte day, it is all our fault that we get crap instead of
quality.  outside of maybe some political propaganda over the years, i'd
think that the hollywood studios are essentially neutral as to what they
produce.  if anything, they seem overly willing to produce quality.
remember, citizen kane and fantasia were huge losers at the box office when
first released.  from an economic perspective, it is those films that make
no sense as the people want more smokey and the bandit II.

as a famous rock n roller once explained, the public gets what the public
wants and the public wants what the public gets.  who is to blame for that?