I am involved with a low-budget theater group (thespians) that
have an old, old follow spot with a monster 1000W lamp without
the proper reflector.

I have a friend who is a wizard with lighting systems. He said
that 410W MR16 lamp will put out as much light as that old 1000W
_and_ have a built-in reflector. But it's 82V, not 120V.

So my first thought was a transformer. But I'm not having much
luck finding a 120V-82V 500VA transformer.

My next thought was a half-wave rectifier. Since the lamp
doesn't really care what the voltage is - just the power
dissipation - I calculations are

410W @ 82V = 16.4 ohms

16.4 ohms @ 115V = 807W

half-wave rectify a 807W AC load should result in 403W. Perfect!

The "snag" is I don't know how the lighting dimmer is going to
react to a half-wave rectified load.

Any thoughts?

Oh, and I last drove to the theater in my 240D. (token MB
content...)

--                Philip