It seems than at Mon, 17 Mar 2008 21:27:43 -0500, George wrote:

> I has been properly covered that you do not feed a transformer
> with the out put of a 'chopper dimmer..
> However if the question is can you connect a rectifier to the
> out put of a stage variac type dimmer, that could be a viable
> solution. Remember it could make some EM type noise that could
> get into sound systems.
>
> If the question is can you connect an rectifier to the out put
> of a triac dimmer that could be another can of worms ...a
> dimer is a 2 wire device that returns its control through the
> load. might need something like a 60w or so lamp as a load for
> the dimmer and the 1/2 wave load connected in parallel with
> it ..
>
> George Larribeau

It's a triac or SCR-pair solid state dimmer panel controlled via
DMX.

But I'm not sure I follow you all the way through. Are you
saying that I may need to put in two diodes, one conducting
forward through the big lamp and the other reverse through a 60W
load?

Or did I miss something important?

--              Philip