On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 18:25:11 -0700 Jim Cathey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> > I have a friend who is a wizard with lighting systems. He said
> > that 410W MR16 lamp will put out as much light as that old 1000W
> > _and_ have a built-in reflector. But it's 82V, not 120V.
>
> I thought a lot of these 82V lamps were like photoflood lamps,
> rated 82V but to be run on normal wall voltage.  Very bright,
> very short life.
>
> > So my first thought was a transformer. But I'm not having much
> > luck finding a 120V-82V 500VA transformer.
>
> A variac would do nicely as a transformer.  But...
>
> > The "snag" is I don't know how the lighting dimmer is going to
> > react to a half-wave rectified load.
>
> Dimmer?  You can't put a transformer downstream of a
> solid-state (chopper) dimmer.  On the other hand, it
> probably won't mind a diode cutting off half the cycles.
> But see point 1 above.

Actually, the DC component of feeding a transformer with a diode will
likely saturate the magnetics and cause all sorts of problems.

You could use a 24 V transformer and a 12 V transformer, both rated at 4
amps. Wire the primaries across the line and the secondaries in series
with the light bulb, phased properly to buck the 120 V from the line down
to 84 V (and measure it BEFORE you connect up the bulb!).

Craig