In a message dated 4/1/2008 7:35:16 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Seems  like if you shifted into neutral at speed, the cruise would
kick off but  the speedo would keep working, so I think the mechanical
problem is between  the speedo drive gear on the tailshaft and  the
wheels.

Yup, this is a cunundrum!  On an 87, how is the speedo driven?  I  was going
to suggest the  torque converter to flywheel bolts were gone and  the engine
is no longer driving the transmission.  Now it may be that one  of the
driveshaft flex couplings has  become uncoupled.  But then  wouldn't the engine
and
trans drive the speedo, even if the car didn't  move?

Geeez!

Jim  Friesen
Phoenix AZ
79 300SD, 264 K miles