In a message dated 4/2/2008 2:21:25 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

What  would it take, I wonder, to adapt a modern manual trans to
> Mercedes  engines?

TransAdapt and Kennedy are two big makers of custom transmission  adapters.
You can put the six speed from the 93 and up Camaro and Firebird  behind most
popular engines including the Hemi and the Northstar.  Kennedy  supplies their
adapters with a suitable fywheel as well.  They have a huge  choice of
adapters for most engines to the VW/Porsche pattern transmissions for  the dune
buggy crowd.  Prices run 500 and up.  I bet if Kennedy  had an order for 10 or
so
they would whip one up!

Now then, if you want to talk transmissions, check out Mendeola.  They  make
a sequential shifting 5 speed good for 800 HP in an off road truck
application.  The trans pattern is VW, but as mentioned above, lots of
adapters
available.  For a top of the line unit, complete with shifter,  bring about
$20,000.

Dream on!

Jim  Friesen
Phoenix AZ
79 300SD, 264 K miles (original automatic  4-speed)
98 ML 320, 155 K miles (original automatic 5-speed)

Jim  Friesen
Phoenix AZ
79 300SD, 264 K miles
98 ML 320, 155 K  miles