The hood ornaments were stolen off three Mercedes in my driveway one Friday
night.

We were heading out the next Saturday morning, I discovered the "damage" and
my youngest Son found a drivers license in the front yard.

When I got back home, I called the police then I looked up the phone number
that belonged to the address on the license. I called the number & asked for
the name on the license. His father woke him up (at 11:30 AM) and I
explained to him that three hood ornaments were missing off three of my
Mercedes and I found his license in the front yard and the police were on
their way over to my house.

He stammered & then stated that he misplaced his license the day before & he
did not know how it ended up in my front yard.

When the police stopped by, I handed over the license and told them that I
had called the kid. They grinned and one said "I know, he called us to
explain that he was no-where near your house last night and we have two
officers over there right now".

They completed the investigation at my house then went over to the kid's
house.

I received a call 45 minutes later - one of the officers explained that the
two had confessed (the license owner and a neighbor), that he had all three
hood ornaments lying on the table in front of him and wanted to know if I
wanted to press charges. Then he said "Wait second, something else has
developed - I'll call you back"

He called a few minutes later to explain that an entire box of hood
ornaments was brought out of the kid's room and that the decision to press
charges was no longer in my hands.

I received a call one week later from the case investigator. He explained
that the parents had come in and literally cried all over his desk. He asked
if I wanted to press charges. He suggested strongly that I did not press
charges because neither had gotten in trouble in the past, providing I had
them replace all three hood ornaments. I asked him how many hood ornaments
were in the box and he stated "lots" but would not give a number. He also
explained that he had to make the same call to the other Mercedes owners.

I gave him the models of all three Mercedes, 1972 289SEL 4.5, 1975 240D,
1986 300E and two weeks later the parents & both "kids" came over with three
very expensive hood ornaments, purchased from the local Stealership. Both
"kids" were trembling.

I found out later that the "kids" were 21 & 22 years old - hardly kids at
all. I should have looked closer at the license and should have pressed
charges.

Thanks,
Tom Hargrave
www.kegkits.com