i'm giving this kid a pass as his crime is mostly stupidity and negligence
and the penalties against him would be draconian

here is the deal.  he is on probation for some sort aggravated assault with
a deadly weapon.  it appears that this was some sort of what we would have
called back in teh day (at the risk of being not PC here) a "latin" thing.
as a first offender, he could plead guilty for it and get probation, so that
is what he did.

now if i stick him with hit and run, we are looking at 5 years in the pokey
. if it were 30 days in teh hole, maybe i'd just send him there, but this is
5 years in the big house.  and what was his crime?

ok, he and his illegal buddy decide that it would be interesting to drive
hid dad's work van backwards around the neighborhood.  only this is harder
than it looks as it's a pretty curvy hilly neighborhood and lots of cars are
parked on the narrow street.  so they come around a turn and lose it right
into my 300TD.

what he needed to do at that point is call the cops and say he accidently
backed into this car.  then they'd come out and file a police report and
give him a 75 dollar ticket.  but instead, on accoujnt of fear, he and his
friend decided to back teh car into the woods and run.

so now he is screwed with a hit and run and his probation becomes prison
time.  he is 19 years old and going to college.  what does anyone gain by
putting him away for 5 years?

he and his dad came over a few minutes ago.  his dad is a hard working
colombian immigrant who is losing his kids to the american life.
unfortunately , this is heavy gang country here (i've mentioned previously
that i used to hand out with indian and pakistani gang bangers, many of
whose parents were also decent law abiding people who have lost control of
their kids) and it is very easy for young people to get involved in very
stupid stuff.  dad is plenty pissed off at him and thinks that he should
"pay" for what he did.  I say i agree, but 5 years in prison is not payment
for what he did.  plus, upon his release he will not just be a stupid kid,
but a hard man who is a criminal.  there is no benefit to punishment.

my suggestion is that the kid goes to disappear for a couple of weeks (i
thought miami was a good idea as he is fluent in spanish) until everything
is settled up and to just stay far  away from the situation and let me and
dad sort it out.

so, you see, i am a real old school seventies bleeding heart liberal despite
all my john birch and neo-confederate leaning.  in the end,  unlike most of
our so called leftists, i am walking the george mcgovern walk.

what is consistent from before is that my encounter with the perps is much
more pleasant and rational than my encounter with the police.  the initial
office to respond demanded my license and proof of insurance and spent about
20 minutes looking around my property and taking notes.  he ran every one of
my license plates.  after i obliged him in this gestapo approach, i asked
him if he might now want to go look for hte van, to which he told me he had
no interest in the van and continued to look about my property taking
notes.  he speaks to me this whole time with disdain and anger.

when he refuses to look for the van, i tell him that i will go look for the
van myself and report back to him if he is still there.  i find the van and
return and he is still there running tags and taking notes looking to "get"
me on something.  i tell him i found the van.  he tells me he saw that van
before and that it doesn't look like it's been moved in a while.  i tell him
i examined the van and the evidence is there.  he reluctantly goes to look
at the van.

i know i've hit paydirt when the entire armada of police come down to the
"crime scene".  must have been 5 cars show up.  one of the cops drives by
and tells me that the car is registered and has insurance and i should be
able to have a police report by next tuesday or wednesday.  he is a friendly
cop.  i tell him that is a long time so can he give me the address of the
perp so i can get teh information sooner.  so he gives me their address.

i wait for all the cops to leave and then get a sandwich and stake out the
perps house.  a woman pulls up in a yellow late mode suv and goes into the
house.  i figure now is a good time for an interview.  so i ring the bell
and start asking about insurance information.

withing moments the driver of hte car shows up on foot.  seems he too has
been staking out the house.  he start lying ot me about how he didn't have
anything to do with hitting the car, but quickly makes a mistake by
overplaying his hand.  he "knows" his van didn't do it because he "saw" the
car that did.  poor fella is just dead now and it is only a matter of
moments until i obtain a full confession. (i always knew that watching the
wire was a practical education!)

i think explain to him that i'm not interested in getting anyone in trouble,
but it's just business and i have to get paid on this.  i'd rather do it
without involving the police, but if forced to call them, i will.  then i
get sympathetic (sincerely, actually, as i did feel bad for the kid) and say
"look, obviously you are in some trouble with the law or you wouldn't have
run.  you say you were in the van, my car has your van's paint on it and the
van has my car's paint on it.  i don't like the police any more than you do
and have no desire to involve them . let's just be straight with each other
and figure this all out"

so he tells me the truth and explains how his friend is an illegal and he is
in 5 years probation, so they just ran.  he offers to give me his car in
exchange.  he suggests that he pay me over time.  i suggest that i've done
enough for him and really am not going to put him on a credit plan.  i tell
him that when his dad comes home, the two of them should come visit me,
which is were this post starts.

so today i function as attorney, detective and priest.  i think i did a
great job, no?  and at the end of the day, i will get paid by dad's
insurance, will have the gang kid "owing me one" and will probably get his
dad to start cutting my lawn at deep discount.

sometimes i can still be fond of the american way of life.