300 CI six is a good engine.  In the 5 liter category.  Both the 300
and 240 are "big block" sixes and made for truck and tractor use.  In
trucks the 300 was considered a bulletproof engine.  Both are real
torquey for a gasser.  Had a 240 in my old 66 E100.  it got better
mileage when you threw 1000 or 2000 lb in the back of it.  I'd grab a
pickup with a 240 or 300 six ford.  240 won't win any races, but is
reliable and for the use you describe is serviceable.

At 12:52 PM 4/11/2008, you wrote:
>On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 10:42 AM, Ed Booher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 1:03 PM, Alex Chamberlain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >  wrote:
> >

> >  > http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/car/634821523.html
> >  >
> >  > Is this old truck worth $600?  Does it really have a V6 or is this
> >

> >  Did you buy it yet?
> >

>Put down the Mountain Dew and back away slowly, Ed...
>
>No, I'm instead spending my "economic stimulus" check on the beater
>300E I've been posting about  (and the parts it needs).
>
>Jim C. scared me off the yellow truck by pointing out that if it has
>the original I-6 in it, it's pretty lacking in power by modern
>standards.  I would probably be wanting to haul manure, old engines,
>etc. in it so that doesn't fly.
>
>Alex

Loren Faeth