My new Subaru gasser has a MPG indicator driven by the engine computer.  It
indicates instantaneous MPG (which is useless because it jumps with every
twitch of the gas pedal) or average MPG since last reset. It consistently
reads about 1/2 to 1 MPG high based on manual calculations at each fillup.
It is interesting to watch especially right after a fillup.

The worst mileage (low teens) is with a cold engine.  So short trips with
long stops (like shopping downtown) are a real MPG killer.  In-town stop and
go driving with a warm engine deliver high teens.  Freeway driving (70 MPH)
gives about 30 MPG and country roads (55 MPH) are even a little better but
that's offset if there are frequent stop signs.  I guess this car has a lot
of aero drag.  I live in the country so usually get about 25 MPG average
unless I'm on a trip when it's bit better.

So in my experience, driving conditions produce a huge variation in MPG.
This, by the way, is also the rationale for the hybrid cars where
regenerative breaking recovers part of the energy when stopping.  But
hybrids only make sense (IMO) if most of your driving is stop-and-go city
driving.

My Diesels seemed to deliver consistent mileage despite conditions (25 MPG
for the 300SD turbo and 21 MPG for the 300TD non-turbo) but maybe that's
just because I didn't have continuous MPG readout.

Scott Ritchey