In a message dated 5/6/2008 8:52:13 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

My son's  "new" '87 300D misses, or stumbles when warm and idling. It's
like it fails  to fire once every second or two. It looks like the
delivery valve seals  are leaking some, but Diesel is not pouring off
the top of the IP.
It  also blows white smoke when it starts - till warm - and smells like
fresh  Diesel - so I'm suspecting faulty glowing for this.
It clatta, clatta's a  bit louder than I think it should as well. There
are only 197,000 miles on  it - should be almost like new.
The #14 head seems fine - no pressure in  the radiator hoses, etc.

I would make sure the oil pressure line is flowing oil to the injector  pump.
It has a very small orifice where it comes off the block and could be
plugged.  Also consider the new low sulfur  diesel is a little weak in  it's
lubricating abilities and an additive may be needed to prevent the  occasional
sticking plunger.  Loves truck stop has the best deals on two or  3 brands of
diesel
fuel additive, tho any good parts store will have some.

I quart treats about 150 gallons, so you don't need much.

Jim  Friesen
Phoenix AZ
79 300SD, 264 K miles
98 ML 320, 155 K  miles