From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Tom Hargrave
Sent: Monday, May 12, 2008 5:47 AM
To: 'Mercedes Discussion List'
Subject: Re: [MBZ] was diesel, now Motorcycles for Bob/NOT!

You won't save the money you think you are saving with a motorcycle after
adding in the additional cost of the bike, tires and insurance.

My Harley-Davidson gets 37 MPG but the new ones get about 40 MPG. So, at 40
MPG and $3.50 / gallon, the cost per mile for gas is 8.85 cents / mile.

Back tires for my Harley-Davidson last 8000 miles if I'm careful and cost is
$135 each plus a $45 mounting fee. This works out to 2.25 cents / mile for
the back tire. Front tires for my Harley-Davidson last 12000 miles if I'm
careful and cost $120 each plus a $45 mounting fee. This works out to 1.375
cents / mile for the tire.

In other words, 3.625 / mile for tires and $8.85 cents / mile for gas totals
of 12.475 cents / mile. My Jeep cost me 17 cents / mile in gas and tires.
Not much savings here. Factor in the added insurance and additional payment
and the rest of the "savings" usually evaporates from a motorcycle.

I still ride as much as possible for fun.

This generation of hybrid cars are another exercise in false economics.
You'll save gas but will spend more buying the car. Last I read, the break
even point was somewhere around 10 years. In other words, if you are an
average driver, your savings will catch up with your initial "investment" in
about 10 years. I suggest that you wait for the next generation of hybrid
vehicles to come out before buying one.

These days, the best economical vehicle on the market is a VW Turbo Diesel.
This is unless you are cheap like I am. With so many car buyers running
towards better mileage cars, you can pick up an older car for less than 3K
that will get 20 MPG in town, which works out to 17.5 cents / mile for gas
and tires are less than 1 cent per mile.

20 MPG may seem terrible but you need to remember that it's total cost per
mile, including the vehicle cost. If you drive a "typical" 15,000 miles /
year, here's the cost / mile for your car payment:

$200 / month = 0.16 cents / mile
$250 / month = 0.20 cents / mile
$300 / month = 0.24 cents / mile
$350 / month = 0.28 cents / mile
$400 / month = 0.32 cents / mile
$450 / month = 0.36 cents / mile
$500 / month = 0.40 cents / mile

Now factor back in the gas mileage:

A nice used vehicle that costs $200 / month and that gets 20 MPG costs you
33.5 cents / mile plus insurance & maintenance cost to drive.
(0.16 per mile for payments + 17.5 cents per mile for gas)

A new vehicle with a $400 / month payment (a low payment, these days) and
that gets 35 MPG in town costs you 42 cents / mile plus insurance and
maintenance cost to drive.
(0.32 per mile for payments + 10 cents per mile for gas)

In other words, assuming your older car costs you $200 per month in
payments, then trade in you older used car that gets 20 MPG for a new 40 MPG
model and you just lost 8.5 cents / per mile just to save gas! And there is
no way that the additional maintenance cost will come close to the $1275 /
year difference!

Thanks,
Tom Hargrave
www.kegkits.com