I'm just encouraging you to look at other options. It is not a
question of IF the price of fuel will double or triple from where it
is now, but WHEN. Each of us is free to decide how we spend a limited
income. He asked for advice and got it. I'd suspect that you want
anything that won't fit in a Jetta wagon to go on a real truck anyway.
You can't argue with 50+ mpg. The good news is that most new truck
owners can't afford to drive them or sell them for what they owe and
the lots are full of unsold ones. You can get them cheap around here.
They make a crappy commuter vehicle any way you look at it. You want a
nice commuter ride - get a W140.

Curt - you just have waaay too many toys :-)

-Dave Walton