ok, Now I think I understand your previous question about how long it
takes to change the freon manifold.  At the time I could not figure
out what you meant.  The manifold on top of the compressor is not
rocket science to change.  It is a bit of a PITA because you have to
take the compressor off to get to it.

I just took out the compressor on my 87 300D, cleaned it, took off
the manifold and replaced the o-rings.  It takes 6 orings. 4 between
the compr. and minifold and 2 between the manifold and the hoses. The
orings are a pain to find.  I ordered a set from Rusty and I only got
two.  The orings in the manifold to compressor side were fairly new
and green, and the compressor had an MB part number and a reman
sticker on it, so I ifgured it was pretty recent.  since the green
orings still had some life to them I put a little silicone permatex
on them and put it back together.

1.  pull the capscrew holding the manifold hose to the compressor
2.  loosen the belt tensioner
3.  pull the 4 bolts through the pump holding the compressor to the engine
4.  unplug the wiring harness on top
5.  remove the compressor.  (I did all this from the topside on the 124 300D)
6.  clean compressor and remove the manifold.
7.  install new orings and replace manifold (4 orings, green ones if
you want to use 134a)
8.  put the compressor back in place
9.  plug in the wiring harness.  Be sure you get it on the right
pins.  you can plug it in with 2 pins in and one pin out!
10.  put the bolts back in.  Tighten bolts
11.  remove the shock absorber bolt of the tensioner so the belt will
slide on (OM603, for others: YMMV)  put the belt on.
12.  check to see the manifold sealing surfaces are clean, install orings
13.  install hose manifold to compressor
14.  put the boltback in the tensioner shock absorber
15.  tension belt and replace bolt and nut.
16.  Start engine and check belt, etc.

The whole job only took me an hour and 45 min from getting out tools
to sitting down to the computer after cleaning up and putting
everything away.  Add another hour for going to the DIY carwash and
cleaning as much of the compressor and the underhood area as I could.

Hope this helps!

I am guessing that a large part of the reason this car ended up in a
series of auctions is that the evaporator leaks.  I have found no
other reason why the refrigerant leaks, but  i have not used a leak
detector, because I don't have one.  After checking out the
compressor orings, I have this sinking feeling.

Loren Faeth