I'd guess the radio is always on in a standby mode.  When you touch
the ground wire to a ground, you complete acircuit, and that creates
a small spark.  I know all the 1980+ beckers have a always on
"feature"  they will drain the battery over time.  The anti-theft
Beckers have to have power always on to maintain their
"brain"  Unhook the battery and your radio is scrambled and unusable.

The ign wire is to provide power to some functions, and the + wire
allows some functions when the ignition is off.  MB radios of the
past were wired to the hot (30) and you had to shut off the ign and
shut off the radio separately.

If you wire both to ign, the radio will only work when the ign is on
and may loose its presets or some other storage feature.  If you hook
both wires to hot: everything will work, but you will need to shut
off the radio separately from the ign.

At 01:34 PM 6/24/2008, you wrote:
>Hello -
>     The Blaupunkt I have installed was wired really strangely.  The 2 hot
>leads (1 to ign and 1 to batt) go to the same wire - the ign wire.  Then,
>the ground wire is hot!  I went to attach it to the frame and saw a small
>spark.  Whoa -- that's not right. Looked at the diagram and yep, the wires
>are right - except the hot leads are supposed to be seperate - instead both
>go to a single lead that's hot when the ign is turn on.
>
>The strange thing is the radio will not work without the ground wire (which
>is hot) attached to ground!
>
>So, next step is to run new wires from + of battery to the yellow hot lead
>and then a new red wire from the ign to the red wire on the radio.  Then the
>ground should actually be a ground and not hot!
>
>Anyone ever see something like this?
>
>Larry T (66 MGB, 74 911, 91 300D)
>www.youroil.net for Oil Analysis and Weber Parts
>Test Results http://members.rennlist.com/oil